Dental hygienists in Kansas are licensed and regulated by the Kansas Dental Board. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 1,700 dental hygienists employed in the state as of 2013, and this number is expected to increase 30 percent by 2018.
The overwhelming majority of dental hygienists in Kansas work in the offices of dentists although some are employed in physicians’ offices, outpatient care clinics or other medical facilities.
Dental Hygienist Salaries and Wages in Kansas by Percentile
- Mean Annual Salary – $67,510
- Mean Hourly Wage – $32.46
- 10th Percentile Annual Salary – $44,620
- 10th Percentile Hourly Wage – 45
- 25th Percentile Annual Salary – 61,830
- 25th Percentile Hourly Wage – 73
By comparison, the nationwide salary figures are:
- Mean Annual Salary – $71,530
- Mean Hourly Wage – 39
- 10th Percentile Annual Salary – 47,880
- 10th Percentile Hourly Wage – 02
- 25th Percentile Annual Salary – 59,600
- 25th Percentile Hourly Wage – 66
Salaries vary by location and are often higher in metropolitan areas but this does not appear to be the case in Kansas. There are 310 (2013) actively employed dental hygienists in non-metropolitan Kansas. The BLS lists salaries in these rural areas as follows:
- Mean Annual Salary – $73,420
- Mean Hourly Wage – 30
- 10th Percentile Annual Salary – 61,750
- 10th Percentile Hourly Wa – $29.69
- 90th Percentile Annual Salary – 89,990
- 90th Percentile Hourly Wage – 22
The table below illustrates salary/wage differences in various Kansas cities (US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2013).